Betsy's Stylish Challenge

2:23 PM

Be prepared to see my most colorful card ever!!

Edit: I added the list of supplies, etc.

I adore Betsy Veldman's style of cardmaking! She has an incomparable style of mixing lots of patterns and colors on her layout. Last week she challenged her blog readers to look for inspiration on the web, blog a bit about your own scrapping style and make a card with the help of the web finds - just like she did before. Have you seen the sweet "happimess" tags and mini cards? So beautiful.

First, onto my inspiration ...

A travel souvenir - not a web find but still...!

Source: Oilily

Source: Molly Irvin



Here's my attempt - of course with some cheery colors :)


I have a closeup for you which gives the colors
more true to reality than above:

Most of the colors and design was taken from the last picture, the middle section with the birthday greetings in different languages was made in Photoshop and the stamping on top was inspired by the settee in the second picture. The layout of the card followed roughly this week's CPS sketch # 119. The middle section on the front is a bit longer as given on the sketch and the three elements at the bottom are reflected in the three rhinestones next to the sentiment. Another difference to the sketch is that I cut one fifth of the card front to stamp the sentiment on the inside (which is why the card lies flat on the photo). Go here to see the original sketch.

Overall, I'm quite satisfied with the outcome, although it felt quite strange to mix all those patterns and colors from the pictures. Of course, I could have chosen other inspiration pictures but that were just the ones most appealing to me the last days. Does it define "my style"? Yes! No! ... the answer is somewhere in between. I still consider myself comparably new to this cardmaking stuff (it's been about half a year since my first peek into the papercrafting world) - and still a bit lost when it comes to composing "freestyle" cards. I like cheery colors and patterns - like Betsy mixes them so pretty - but I also like the more muted color scheme and "natural" style which e.g. Heather Nichols executes so beautifully. Btw, it's the same with ... clothing: I have many basic colored, simple things in my wardrobe but love to mix it with some eye-popping or elegant pieces... architecture: I like the clean Bauhaus designs (this year is the 90th anniversary) as well as vintage-y country style cottages... painting: Pierre-Auguste Renoir and Roy Lichtenstein... fonts: the classic Helvetica and the more upbeat Girard Script... could go on like this for ever.
I guess I'll find my card-making style somewhere in the middle. Until then, I take the freedom of the newbies, play around with my crafting supplies and see what's happening :-)

Thanks for looking and have a good day!


Supplies
Stamps: PTI Background Basics Retro, PTI Damask Designs
Ink: Heyda turquoise, PTI Raspberry Fizz, PTI Vintage Cream, Versacolor Chestnut
Paper: PTI stamper's select white, Rossi cream notepaper, pink and orange cardstock from stash, Dani Peuss brown cardstock
Others: PTI Vintage Buttons New Leaf, Spellbinder's Nestabilities pinking circles, Photoshop, rhinestones, sewing machine & pink thread, K&Co. glue dots, decorative scissors, foam dimensionals

You Might Also Like

9 comment(s)

  1. Great card - love how you mixed the traditional damask with a playful plaid!

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a great card from your inspiration! love the colors!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i like the color..

    good mixture..

    and then, I love the design pattern on the outter layer..

    its nice!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Whoa, wie geil! :) TO-TAL COOL! Ha wie krass du bist wieder bei Dawn in den Top 15 gelandet mit der anderen Karte. Wie du das immer machst! Bei mir is im Moment superstressig, ich komm net so wirklich zum basteln, hab Dienstag nen Vortrag und muss dazu noch nen Essay schreiben und noch nen anderen Vortrag in zwei Wochen. Argh. Und bald hab ich Buck zwei Wochen lang, das wird auch spaßig... nicht. Na mal gucken wie ich das alles auf die Reihe kriege. Ja die Konferenz lief erstaunlich gut, wir hatten uns halt so gut es ging vorbereitet und trotz einiger Stolpersteine hab ichs überlebt ;) Also danke für die lieben Wünsche, hat geholfen.
    LG aus Jena!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like your card a lot. It's really nice and I like your inspiration pictures, too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow!! This card is lovely and I can totally see the inspiration

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving me a comment! Have a fabulous day :)